And again, with another regime. Truth be told, the only feature of my face that I like are my lips… and eyes too (but am too tired to ace that winged eyeliner tbh!). As winter passed by, I did struggle to keep my lips from being chapped. And now, I am worried about the change in weather and the dry, dry summer. However, we all know there is a solution to every problem. Right? So here are some easy lip scrubs and masks that will take care your lips throughout the year.
Homemade Lip Scrubs:
1. SUGAR LIP SCRUB :
Though the base ingredient in every lip scrub is sugar, this one is easy to make. To make sugar lip scrub you will need:
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp White sugar
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Coconut oil/ olive oil
Whisk brown and white sugar together. Add honey and oil to it. Mix until blended properly. Apply this mixture to your lips and gently massage. Sugar will exfoliate your lips and remove dead cells to avoid the chapped look. Honey will moisturise and give the supple feel to your lips.
2. LEMON LIP SCRUB :
We all know how lemon helps us in so many ways. For this lemonade lip scrub, you would need:
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp petroleum jelly (Vaseline)
- Few drops of lemon juice
Add granulated sugar to petroleum jelly. Make sure the sugar is evenly distributed and not forming any lumps (you can use a fork to mix otherwise). Gradually add lemon juice, enough to make a thick paste. Apply to your lips and massage. Rinse afterwards.
Do not add too much of the lemon juice as it might sting as the sugar exfoliates your lips.
3. ROSEMARY LIP SCRUB :
This is more like a lip mask than a scrub. Rosemary is an aromatic herb that is now world wide used for various reasons. In this, coconut oil acts as the base ingredient and moisturizer. Rosemary will help rejuvenate your lips. It helps cell regeneration, replacing dead and damaged skin. It also helps in blood circulation. Even if you have wrinkly lips, this will help make it appear smooth. To make rosemary lip scrub, you will need:
- Coconut oil
- Fresh rosemary leaves (or dried)
- Few drops of peppermint essential oil (optional)
Use slightly frozen coconut oil to make this mixture. If you are using fresh leaves, chop them into very fine crumbs; if using dried just grind it. Add peppermint oil for freshness. Mix well and apply on your lips till you feel the oil is absorbed. Rinse.
4. HONEY LIP SCRUB :
You can call this ‘sweet scrub’ if you want to. To make this scrub, you would require:
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Olive oil
Baking soda will help in exfoliating the skin. Honey will soothe and recover the chapped skin. Mix the ingredients well and apply. Leave the mixture for sometime or until it gets absorbed. Do not scrub hard with this mixture as the baking soda is a strong agent.
5. VANILLA SUGAR SCRUB :
This is more of a flavoured lip scrub and you can use this as body scrub too. Plus, this smells like cookies!
- 2 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
Whisk the brown and white sugar together. Slowly add the olive oil. Mix well until you feel the oil has combined to sugar completely. Add vanilla extract and whisk the mixture. once done, apply on your lips. Rinse with cold water.
6. DARK CHOCOLATE LIP SCRUB :
What is better than chocolate? … Yeah, even I could not think of an answer. Anyways, for this scrub you will need:
- 6 tbsp granulated white sugar
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 square pip of dark chocolate (grated)
- 1 tsp of cocoa powder
- Vitamin E oil
- Peppermint oil (optional)
Mix sugar and coconut oil until blended properly. Grate the dark chocolate and add it to the mixture. Add the rest of the ingredients gradually as you keep stirring continuously. Apply the scrub on your lips and massage for about 2 minutes. Rinse with warm water when done.
- Do not scrub your lips for more than 2-3 minutes. The skin of your lips are sensitive and soft as compared to that of rest of the body. So be gentle. If required, scrub twice a week until healed.
- For easy scrubbing, you can use a baby toothbrush. The bristles are more delicate and suitable for lips massage. It will be easy to use the scrub and will gently massage the lips on its own.
- A lot of you might want to make the lips look more plump and fuller. For that, you need to add cinnamon powder to your lip scrub or mask. It might feel a little tingly at first. It will also regulate blood circulation and give a more pink-ish look.
To be done with, do not eat your lip scrub ( I know its irresistible and you might get tempted to). Rinse nicely and always keep your lips protected and hydrated with lip balms apart from drinking gallons of water.
Here are some of the lip balms I have used so far, and trust me when I say they literally work overnight.
- Maybelline NY Baby Lips (Anti-Oxidant Berry with SPF 20)
- Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Lip Moisturizer with SPF 15
- Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Beeswax Lip Balm
- The Body Shop: Vitamin E Moisture Protect Lip Care And Hemp Lip Conditioner
- L’Occitane Ultra Rich Shea Butter Lip Balm
- Soap & Glory Lip Moisture Balm: A Great Kisser
Hope these lip care tips were useful to you. If you have tried out any of these or have anything to share, do let me know.
That’s all for now. You have an entire weekend to pamper yourself. So go ahead!